If you read my blog much, you’ve probably noticed I use garlic infused olive oil quite a bit. My wonderful sister-in-law gave me some for Christmas. I had used all that up, so I thought I would try my hand at making some. It was so easy!!! There is more to it than just throwing garlic in a bottle of olive oil though! But don’t think I wasn’t tempted to do this!
Luckily I took a couple of minutes to look on the Internet! I looked at the Food Hacks website and learned that raw garlic can carry botulism, so you do need to cook the stuff! After looking at this site, I decided to use the simple slow cook method and it worked great!
This oil is great in any recipe where you need olive oil and you want garlic flavor. This would also make a great gift!
- Buy a good quality olive oil. Take a look online. There are some ratchet ones out there!
- Peel and dice your garlic. Don’t cut it too small, because you want to be able to strain out the pieces. How much garlic you use is up to you. I used about 4 large cloves for 2 cups of olive oil.
- Pour oil in slow cooker, add garlic, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Let oil cook, use sieve to strain oil into measuring cup with pour spout and the pour into an air tight bottle.
- Store in a cool dark place.