For the last year, I have been on a weight loss journey. I’m down 80 pounds so far and still going strong! One of the things that has helped me, is to give some of our favorite foods a health upgrade. And who doesn’t love pizza?!? So last night I decided to level up the pizza and make a healthier version that tasted great and totally answered my pizza craving! The zucchini doesn’t have a strong flavor, so it really was just a healthy vessel for the yummy pizza toppings.
Now I guess you could make this on lengthwise slices of normal size zucchini, but this is the PERFECT recipe for those ginormous, mutant zucchini’s we have all found hiding in our gardens!
How did I do it?
1. Slice zucchini about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Lay paper towels out on counter or on cookie sheets
3. Lay down zucchini slices and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Flip and salt other side.
4. Let sit for an hour or so, periodically patting dry with additional paper towels. Flip over once in a while.
5. Preheat oven to 375. Put zucchini on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove zucchini from oven and top with favorite sauce and pizza toppings. I used my homemade red sauce, grated motzarella, pepperoni, more motzarella, and black olives. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until cheese is melty.